book reviews

A while back I promised to come and review the books I've been reading for book club. So let's do it!

When I write a review on a movie or book, I don't like to to give much of anything away about the plot. That's because when I go into a book or movie I like to go in fresh, not knowing too much about it. If I can help it, I'll try not to read the cover "synposis" or see too many trailers or a movie. Sometimes they give too much away! So - just a heads up - these reviews, like the movie review I've done in the past, will be my feelings about the book, the general premise of the story, and not much more!

In November my book club read "Austenland" by Shannon Hale. It was MY pick and I hosted book club at my house that month.



I LOVE THIS BOOK. I'd recommend it to ANYONE. ESPECIALLY to anyone who has watch the BBC version of Pride & Prejudice. It's a pretty short and easy read and its a ton of fun. I enjoyed the whole thing and will definitely be reading it again. It reads like a great movie that you'd pop in to watch over and over. I LOVED the main character Jane. She was flawed, funny, relatable, and real.

The book is about this 32 year old girl, Jane, who is given a very expensive trip (from her late rich aunt) to Pembrook Park, a British resort where guests live like the characters in Austen novels. It was that premise alone that made me pick up the book. My digi-scrap friend, Kathleen, was the one who recommended this book to me on her GoodReads.com page! And I'm so glad she did. I REALLY loved it. It's such a clean, fun book. Probably G or PG rated. If you like Pride & Prejudice, or anything Jane Austen you should READ THIS BOOK!

In January we read "A Great & Terrible Beauty" by Libba Bray.



This is the first book in a trilogy, and I am definitely interested in reading the next two after reading this one. This book is set in the Victorian England. I liked this blurb from Amazon to describe the story:

"A Victorian boarding school story, a Gothic mansion mystery, a gossipy romp about a clique of girlfriends, and a dark other-worldly fantasy--jumble them all together and you have this complicated and unusual novel".

The 'other world fantasy' as they put it is so interesting in this book. DEFINITELY a little scary, mysterious and interesting. I was very creeped out reading this book, but in a good way!! Once I got about half-way into the book, it became a REAL page turner and I could hardly put it down.
The characters were all so well developed. I liked how Gemma, the main character, was so complex. You think you know what she's going to do or say, but then she'll totally surprise you. I really loved the setting of the book! I felt like I had stepped into a real Victorian finishing school. A very fun read that I think you'll enjoy.

I'd say this book is probably rated PG-13. I wouldn't let my teenage daughter read it! But I'd recommend it to my own girlfriends.

Hope you found my short and sweet book reviews interesting & maybe even found a couple books to add to your reading list! Have a great day!

0 komentar on book reviews :